In the old days, when more people smoked cigarettes, bedding and mattress manufacturers were being pushed to add chemicals to their products in order to make them more fireproof. The reason for adding these chemicals was because of the fact that people were falling asleep with lit cigarettes. These dangerous chemicals were used to prevent catastrophic fires. The only problem with this is that these chemicals contained VOCs, or volatile organic compounds, which are laden with cancer-causing particulates that emanate from mattresses and pillows. Moreover, sateen sheets are full of artificial fabrics to achieve that shiny look. This is why you want to switch to organic bedding. When buying bedding, you want to be sure that you look at the materials used before you make your purchase. Here are some health benefits of organic bedding.
- Organic bedding won’t cause respiratory issues – mattresses, pillows and linens with artificial fabrics can cause severe issues with your nose and throat. If you are having trouble breathing during your sleep, you may want to try organic bedding. Indeed, the chemicals used in faux materials, or non-organic materials, have some harmful particulates that are akin to the chemicals found in tobacco products.
- Organic bedding won’t cause issues with your skin – some non-organic bedding can cause rashes and infected bedsores. This is why you want to purchase a mattress from the Healthy Bed Store instead of a name-brand retailer. It is also why you want to purchase organic linens. Non-organic linens use chemicals to give it a unique sheen. If you see this sheen, you know that the sheets are not organic and not safe to sleep in.
- Organic bedding won’t release volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, that can cause all sorts of health issues – including cancer and stroke. Indeed, this process of off-gassing will release volatile organic compounds, which are usually found in industrial paint. These compounds can also be found in the upholstery of new cars, which is why new cars have that distinctive smell. When it comes to bedding, you want to go organic to avoid being in contact with VOCs.
- Organic bedding will breathe easier and it will make you feel more comfortable – when you are in bed, you want to relax. This relaxation is essential for lowering stress and all the issues that can arise from being stressed out. This is one of the most important benefits of organic sheets. You will wake up feeling refreshed and recharged – not sick, sluggish and fatigued.
- Organic bedding will help you sleep more deeply – when you are not dealing with all the VOCs and other harmful particulates, you will be able to fall asleep more deeply. When it comes down to it, we as humans need at least eight hours of sleep per night. It can be hard to get this kind of deep sleep if you don’t have comfortable, organic bedding. In the end, you can usually determine if your sheets are not organic by looking at the tags – if they aren’t organic, it may be time to make a change.